Monday, February 11, 2013

I Know This is Where Heavenly Father Wants Me to Be


Hi Everyone!

I have arrived safely in the field! The area of Boston is beautiful. When I arrived here I was able to meet my Mission President, President Packard. Absolutely brilliant man. He interviewed me, and it was a spiritual, strengthening experience. President Packard is an amazing man.

The day after we arrived we had scripture study with the assistants to the President, and then "in-field orientation" on the streets of Boston, which means we went into the city to do some street contacting. It was tough! But I loved the challenge! My companion from the MTC,  Elder Rogers and I, got caught up talking to a drunk hobo for 10 minutes. The hobo's name was Juan, but on the streets they call him "CoCo". Coco was unfortunately too drunk to stand up on his own, so we kindly helped him up. We tried to talk to him about the gospel, but he would just go on crazy tangents about birds. We kept on trying to politely walk away, but CoCo wanted to talk to us. He kept on telling us he loved us.We gave CoCo a pass along card and he said he would spread the word. Go get 'em, CoCo!

The next day we were told where we would be going. We went to the church house right across from the Boston Temple in Belmont. We all sat in the Relief Society room waiting to hear about our assigned companions and areas. I was assigned to be with Elder Campbell and work the Amherst, Massachusetts area! It is an hour and half away from Boston. It is a beutiful area. The college University of Massachusetts is here, which means there are some young single adult wards,  but Elder Campbell and I are assigned to work with the Amherst Family Ward! There are about 100 regular members who attend every week!

Elder Campbell is sweet! He and I have gotten along great! He is teaching me so much and is helping me become a better missionary! We are going to do amazing work together!

So, we made the drive from Boston to Amherst. On the way there Elder Campbell was concerned that the ceilings in our apartment would be too low for me. I thought nothing of it at the time. Our apartment is in the basement of an old Jewish lady named Judy. Her dog Chloe is always barking! So, we entered our apartment, and I kid you not, the ceiling of the basement is 6 foot 8 inches tall, and I am 6 foot 6 Inches! There are some parts of the basement that are lower, so I've hit my head about 20 times and probably have 3 concussions!  At least the shower's water temperature is consistent! But then I hit my head on the ceiling of the shower. I feel like Buddy the Elf  when he tries to shower in the elf shower. It's funny.

Then we had two days of lockdown due to Blizzard "Nemo" It wasn't too bad but it still kept us trapped in our apartment for two days.  On Saturday we shoveled snow for about 10 hours. Turns out snow is heavy! We shoveled Judy's snow so Chloe could run around and do her business outside. That Judy!

So yesterday, Sunday, was great! I was able to give a talk on recognizing the Spirit, and I was just so happy to be there in the Amherst Ward! I was able to introduce myself to so many members and I can not wait to work with this ward in doing missionary work. Yesterday we were able to bring our investigator Leanne to church! She has a baptismal date set for next Saturday!

Elder Campbell and I have 3 baptismal dates set up in the next 3 weeks! It's great! But we still have so much work ahead of us.

I would like to say that I KNOW President Packard sent me to serve with Elder Campbell in the Amherst area through the promptings of the Holy Ghost.. I KNOW this is where Heavenly Father wants me to be. I KNOW I have a purpose here in this mission and 23 months to accomplish it. I KNOW why I am here. I KNOW this chruch is true. I KNOW God lives. I KNOW He lives!

Elder Tait


No comments:

Post a Comment

What would you like to say to Elder Tait about this letter?