Monday, September 15, 2014

I Love Serving Jesus Christ on a Mission

In my previous area, Lynnfield, Calvert & Tait and Associates were blessed to have the opportunity to teach a woman named Caroline. She was very humble, patient, and willing to learn. She understood that she could seek and find answers from God for herself. We actually had to bid farewell to Caroline because she was going to Ireland for a foreign exchange program. This was a tough pill to swallow for Calvert & Tait and Associates, but we were happy because we got permission to Skype with her while she was gone! So this week I had the opportunity to teach Caroline on Skype! Elder Calvert was not able to attend, but I know he was there in spirit. Being able to Skype with Caroline was a miracle. She was still glowing with the Spirit of Christ. We were able to talk about how the exchange program was going, and her studies and her life in general. She is such a sincere person! We were able to talk about God's love for us individually, and how The Book of Mormon can answer our questions. Hearing about her recent experiences just confirms to me the truthfulness of the Gospel. We are going to try to teach her again later this week!

This week was a tough one for the Massachusetts Boston Mission. We have lost two great legends. Their two years of service have come to an end, but I know they will continue to build up the Lord's kingdom wherever they are. 

Elder Campbell's 2 years are up! I can't believe it! My first companion when I came out and now he’s gone! Where is the time going? I love the kid so much! He was the best trainer a goofball like me could have asked for. It was bittersweet to bid him farewell. He taught me so much. I am grateful for his patience and love, even when I was probably difficult to get along with at times. Those times in Amherst will never be forgotten. 

As if seeing Elder Campbell leave wasn’t enough, I also had to bid farewell to the man, the myth, the legend himself - the one who Superman calls when he is in danger - the ever elusive, the dynamic, my Haitian Brother, the one and only ELDER ANOFILS. We lost a true legend this week! 

I was privileged to work with Elder Anofils for 4 1/2 months. Those were some of the best months of my mission and even my life. I could go on forever about everything he has helped me with and done for me. For one, he helped me to start learning Haitian Creole, (thank goodness there are a lot of Haitians in Cambridge to keep helping me along!). He also gave me a better perspective of how great life is. He helped me realize the strength we can have when we put our whole hearts into serving Jesus Christ. He taught me to appreciate the simple things in life. I had so much fun with him. Elder Anofils is the youngest of 7 children. He is originally from Haiti. When he was 8 years old his Father, who was working in the United States to save money to move the family here, passed away. Elder Anofils actually never met his father. He left to come work here before Elder Anofils was born. When growing up in Haiti Elder Anofils only finished the 1st grade because he had to work to earn money for his family. He didn't see a car or telephone until he was 10. He saw things growing up that no human should see - let alone a child. Needless to say he did not grow up the way I did. He came over to the United States with his family when he was 12 years old and was put into the 7th grade. You know how hard that must have been? He didn’t know a word of English and was thrown into the 7th grade with only a 1st grade education. Look where he is now. He’s a high school graduate and is going on to college.

What impresses me the most though, and makes me look up to him so much is his conversion to the church. He was 13 years old and living in Florida when he met the missionaries. In Florida there is a large Haitian population, so there are Haitian-speaking missionaries who serve there. He met with them and as he described it, he just knew it was true. He was 13 and he knew it was true. He woke up every Sunday and was picked up and driven to church by a Young Men leader.  At first they drove in silence because of the language barrier. Church was mainly in English. He has no idea what was being said! But he just knew it was true! He said he could feel it! He joined The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints and continued to stay active, learned English, turned 19 and, despite all odds, both financially and spiritually, served a mission. He gave two years to the Lord. To come from nothing and still give everything you have to the Lord is amazing love and dedication.

What a great blessing and example he has been in my life. He will always be one of my best friends. The most spiritual moment we had together was when I got a phone call from him 3 months ago. He told me he had found his father’s name! He kept on saying over the phone, "I found my fathers name! I found his records!" I will never forget it. He said, "Tait, I want you to be baptized for my father." Tears filled my eyes and 3 weeks later I was baptized for Elder Anofils’ father in the Boston Temple. I know I’ll continue to learn from Elder Anofils’ example of serving the Lord and putting Him first in our lives.

So, we were walking through Harvard’s Law School campus this last week when I saw a girl, maybe 20 yards away, walking towards me. We kind of kept looking at each other when I heard her say, "Jackson! Is that you?" "Tatum Gormley!?” I was freaking out! The one and only Tatum Gormley! [School friend of Jackson & Hillary] I couldn't believe it. She’s going to Harvard Law – how cool is that?  She was just as cool as ever. We stood at the corner of the intersection talking for a few minutes and catching up. I was able to get her phone number and maybe we’ll go to lunch one of these days. It made me smile hearing the first three digits of her phone number: 702. 


I apologize for the novel, but I am can't express how much I love serving Jesus Christ on a mission.  Working to become more of who my Heavenly Father wants me to be brings me so much joy. I love you family! Remember you are always in my heart and on my mind. I know families are together forever! Keep the Tait name strong and golden!

Catch you on the flip!

Elder Jackson Loren Tait the First




1 comment:

  1. I loved hearing about Elder Anofils, I am sorry I never had the opportunity to meet him. Guess who came to Seminary today??? John :)

    ReplyDelete

What would you like to say to Elder Tait about this letter?