Monday, July 1, 2013

Hello. And Welcome Back!

Hello. And Welcome Back!”
          That is what Elder Campos would say every time he would enter our apartment.  Elder Campos, unfortunately, was transferred and now we have our Korean boy, Elder Shim! Elder Shim is a Korean speaking/learning Spanish as his third language. He has 8 years of experience with his second language, English. We can tell which food is his because we can’t read any of the symbols or characters. I don’t even know how they decipher those complex characters. It’s like trying to find out what a girth unit is.
          Anyway, Elder Campos has made an everlasting impact on how I use the English language.  I was talking to Elder Campos and trying to convince him to come on a skiing trip with us after his mission. He kept on refusing and I told him he either had to come with me, or I would go to Peru and take away all his family’s llamas. He then told me:
No way Elder Tait! I would be so mad! I would drop and kick you!”  
Wait Elder Campos, you would do what?”
“I would drop and then kick you!”
“Wait, are you trying to say dropkick?”
“No Elder. I will drop then I will kick you.”
He has changed the way I look at life. If I am ever in a fight, I will make sure I drop and kick the person, instead of dropkick him.
Anyway, I proudly salute you Elder Campos and the service you have given. I look forward to learning the Korean language so I will be able to read what Elder Shim’s food packaging says, and if anyone disrespects Elder Shim, I will drop and then kick them.
Revere has been blimey brilliant! This week Elder Wright and I had the privilege of witnessing a 23 year-old woman covenant with the Lord by entering the waters of baptism. It was Elder Wright’s first time baptizing someone! It was great to see. We look forward to the spiritual moment next week when she is confirmed. This woman has gone through a huge amount of turmoil in her life. I cannot say how blessed I feel to have seen her progression. I know the Lord did everything; we were simply there to represent him and his Son, and then allow the spirit to do the rest.
I would not be truthful if I said that I don’t struggle at times. During the hard moments is when the love of our Father in Heaven is most apparent to me. I always think to myself “A day at a time. A day at a time”. Stay with God today, and God will stay with you forever.”  The other day it dawned on me that I will look back and think about my mission for the rest of my life. Looking back at the time I have already served has allowed me to see how mighty the hand of the Lord has been in my life. He has been there with me every step of the way - no matter where I was. Sometimes I wasn’t humble enough to recognize it, but God still blessed me. It is time to start stepping up the intensity and serve with all my heart, might, and mind. When comparing myself to others, life looks absolutely miserable, but when I compare myself to what God wants me to be, and my divine potential, life has a whole new perspective.  Then I think of the “gentiles” in this great city of Boston. When looking at people, I am able to see that they have their own paths in life to follow. Then it dawns on me that I have been called and assigned to stand as a witness of Jesus Christ, and bear testimony of the Gospel to anyone who we come across. The Lord wants us here to help his children follow the path of happiness that He has prepared for them. It is up to us to do his work.
With love,

Elder Tait

Studying with Elder Wright

Elder Tait with the Sen Family 

No comments:

Post a Comment

What would you like to say to Elder Tait about this letter?