Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Birdslaughter and Pixie Sticks

In life you just gotta shake things up a bit, you know? Well, our District Leader, Elder Maldonado, did just that while riding his bike – he was just shaking things up a little too much and fell off his bike and broke his wrist. The nurse explained it to him in a rather enthusiastic manner: “Well your hand is broken! Just like a Pixie Stick snapped right in half! You’re going to need surgery! How fun is that?”
You can’t argue with that type of a positive attitude! Any nurse who can relate orthopedics to Willy Wonka candy deserves some credit. The surgery took place yesterday, on our P-Day, and we took him to   the surgery and stayed there to support him. As we arrived at the Melrose-Wakefield Hospital, the parking lot was jam-packed – just like the animals in Noah’s Ark. Then, as we drove by the front of the Hospital we saw a “Parking Only for Visiting Clergy” sign. Well, fancy that! Turned out we had 4 visiting clergy and 1 of them was getting surgery for his Pixie Stick related problem!
So Elder Wright and I joined with and kept Elder Maldonado’s companion, Elder Mullins, company as our fearless District Leader was getting an operation on his Pixie Stick wrist. Then Sister Packard, the mission President’s wife, came and joined us as we waited. We sat and talked with Sister Packard - she really is an awesome lady! The surgery went well - the Pixie Stick successfully repaired. President Packard wanted Elder Maldonado to spend the night at the mission home after the surgery, so Sister Packard took Elders Mullins and Maldonado and we parted ways.
Well, this past week was phenomenal! The 4th of July was awesome! Words cannot describe how it was to celebrate the 4th here where America and our freedom were established. We were allowed to go to the Charles River and we got home between 1 & 2 AM in the morning! I was able to see Elders Langford, Hanberg and Stradley from my first area! It was so golden to see them again and be able to relax and play the ukulele as the fireworks went off.
A few days later I was able to go on an exchange with Elder Mullins, Elder Maldonado’s companion - the one who broke his wrist while riding his bike. So, guess who got to ride a bike! Yes -  that’s right – me! So here I am, my first day riding a bike as a missionary. We biked about 5 miles with no broken wrists. So, we are about .2 miles away from home, and here I am thinking, “This is great - no one got injured - everything was smooth and safe”. As I am concluding this thought in my head - in the time of about a ½ second - I see a bird jet out from underneath a bush on the ground, and directly intersect with my bike’s front tire. The bird just flew right into my front tire and I accidentally ran over it! I shouted to Elder Mullins, who was in front of me, to stop - then informed him about the birdslaughter I had just committed. We both agreed it would be a good idea to go back and give this bird a proper burial. We named him Jimmy. I figured the reason I am not in a biking area is because I don’t like running over birds or the potential of having my wrist snap like a Pixie Stick!
Besides Jimmy the Bird, fireworks, and Pixie Sticks, I had a simple realization this week. The question “What is the purpose of life?” can lead to a plethora of long, wordy responses. In my personal studies it dawned on me that I am making the answer to this question too complex. I strongly believe that the purpose to life is this: To figure out what God’s will is for me and others, and to accomplish or obey God’s will as Jesus Christ would.
I know through prayer we can receive answers to what we need to do and how we can do it. I know this takes time, but as we humble ourselves and become patient we can start accomplishing our purpose in life.
With Love,
Elder Tait.
 2 Years. Make it Count.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What would you like to say to Elder Tait about this letter?