Tuesday, May 28, 2013

The Power and Blessings of Being Obedient

The power and blessings of being obedient to God’s commandments are unfathomable. This previous week the Bishop of my home ward sent me a scripture from Helaman 3:35 in The Book of Mormon.
“Nevertheless they did fast and pray oft, and did wax stronger and stronger in their humility, and firmer and firmer in the faith of Christ, unto the filling of their souls with joy and consolation, yea, even to the purifying and the sanctification of their hearts, which sanctification cometh because of their yielding their hearts unto God.”
When I read this scripture the “….fast and pray oft…” part instantly stood out to me. I realized I have only fasted on Fast Sundays. I have never done it on a different day. I realized this at 10 pm last Saturday night, and I tried to justify it was too late to start, but the Holy Ghost testified to me so distinctly that I would be blessed by the hand of God if I starting fasting right then.
The next day, Sunday, at church a man and his son walked in around 15 minutes before sacrament meeting began. The man had not been to church since he was baptized when he was 17 in Honduras. He had a 10 year old son, and wanted him to join the church. As Elder Wright and I were thanking the Lord for this miracle, we both noticed a family that came in and sat in the back right as sacrament meeting started. Naturally, after the meeting ended we pounced! The mother of the family was baptized at age 15 but went inactive and hadn’t been back to church since then. Both the mother and father wanted to start raising their family in the church. They had 3 children, ages 7, 5, and 1. I talked to the Father and we had a phenomenal conversation and he told me that he wants to join the church. Both families said they felt like that Sunday was the day for them to come to church.
The Saturday night before at 10 pm, I began my fast by asking that Elder Wright and I would be able to help families and their posterities flourish in the gospel.  As I prayed, my intention was for the members of the ward, since we have been working with them, but God often has different plans. Elder Wright and I cannot thank the Lord enough for trusting us with these families.
As we are obedient to promptings from the Holy Ghost we will see miracles unfold in our lives. Obedience brings blessings -- exact obedience brings miracles. I know the hand of God is in our lives, because there are always miracles occurring. We need to do our part to be obedient to the prompting of the Holy Ghost, and act in faith, and miracles will happen.
With Love,
Elder Tait.

2 Years. Make it Count.

Bunker Hill Memorial

Memorial Day BBQ

Memorial Day BBQ
"Well, look at this - How convenient!!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

What would you like to say to Elder Tait about this letter?