Monday, May 12, 2014

Stay Vintage!

I know that Heavenly Father has called us where we need to be as we serve a mission or even serve in life. He’s blessed us with talents and the capacity to bring forth his marvelous work - no matter how unqualified we may feel. 
President Henry B. Eyring speaks about the emotions of being burdened down with many tasks, but also how to be released from that bondage:

"There will be times when you will feel overwhelmed. One of the ways you will be attacked is with the feeling that you are inadequate. Well, you are inadequate to answer a call to represent God with only your own powers. But you have access to more than your natural capacities, and you do not work alone."

How difficult it would be to represent the Lord without accessing the help he eagerly and anxiously waits to bestow upon us? We have all felt overwhelmed at times with callings to serve the Lord. But as President Eyring said, we have access to more than our natural capacities and that is due to the atonement of Christ. We are not alone. Jesus Christ died so we have this opportunity to serve him, and come to know him. What a selfless act. When we serve faithfully in callings we are showing we understand the Saviors atonement and what it means to minister to others. When I feel inadequate as a missionary I try to remember the peace and serenity I felt when I was called.  I remember I’m not teaching others about my testimony - I’m teaching and helping them to know Jesus Christ for themselves. This often lessens my feelings of inadequacy and reminds me that I am not alone. 

I had the opportunity this weekend to be the Lord's instrument in baptizing and bringing someone to Christ. Seeing the joy the gospel can bring to others is what allows us to know that Christ lives. Being able to see a couple who will now be sealed in the temple one day is what gives me hope. It's what wakes me up in the morning. It's what makes me want to work every single second. It's what inspires me to be the best I can be as a servant of my Heavenly Father. This is because one man took a leap of faith and committed to come unto Christ, and enter the gate to salvation. The week continued to get better as I was able to talk to my family yesterday, especially my mother. It was great to see you Mother! I strive everyday to exercise my faith in Christ and his infinite atonement. I hope you all have a great week, and stay vintage.

Elder J. L. Tait XII

No comments:

Post a Comment

What would you like to say to Elder Tait about this letter?